Our history goes like this
1922. A small group of friends and tennis enthusiasts raises $5,000. With the help of the City Recreation Department, they build six tennis courts adjacent to the present War Memorial Building.
1924. The San Diego Tennis Association receives a lease to operate the courts for the public. The following year, they build a small clubhouse with locker rooms.
1939. The Balboa Tennis Club becomes a public, nonprofit corporation to “foster and develop the game of tennis in San Diego…and to encourage competitive play with other clubs of this and other communities.” The club flourishes for many years at its’ original location and helps young players in developing their games.
1989. BTC is rated as America’s Best Public Tennis Facility by the USTA.
2000. The San Diego District Tennis Association names BTC the Club of the Year.
2003. The club receives the Outstanding Tennis Facility award for large facilities in the United States, from the USTA.
2012. BTC in conjunction with Balboa Naval Medical Center and SDDTA hosts the first annual week long National Wounded Warrior Tennis Camp with 60 wounded, ill, and injured service members and their families from around the US.
2014. BTC in conjunction with USTA and SDDTA hosts a National Wheelchair Tennis Camp for 60 wounded and injured service members from around the US.
2015. We proudly count 1,400 members and receive 6,000 visitors every year.
After 93 years of history, we still believe in making tennis accessible to our community and in training new generations to compete at the highest level.
Did you know?
BTC was home of female tennis pioneer, Maureen Connolly, and No. 2 ranked Michael Chang.